Medical Driving Assessments
With Skill Builders
Do you know someone who could benefit from a medical driving assessment? We can help!
Our Driving School is proud to offer Skill Builders Driver Evaluation services through our Sault Ste. Marie location. Our Driving School is the only driving school that offers this service in the Algoma District.
This program is approved by the Ministry of Transportation and may apply to you if you’ve suffered from a traumatic brain injury, received a medical driver licence suspension, received a referral from your doctor or family members, have age-related concerns or other medical issues.
We offer a range of services including medical fitness to drive evaluations, driver training, vision waiver assessments, vehicle & adaptive equipment prescriptions, and driver anxiety assessments/reintegration. We have a Registered Occupational Therapist available who works in partnership with our Driver Rehabilitation Specialist. This means your driving assessment is completed under one roof. Operating under the approval of the Ministry of Transportation, our team offers the most experience and knowledge locally in this comprehensive field.
How Do You Access Our Clinic?
How to get started
Booking and inquiries are done through Skill Builders head office located in Barrie. A Driving Coordinator will speak to you regarding your individual needs and walk you through the next steps related to completing a driving assessment.
For more information, please see the Barrie Skill Builders Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Centre at 705-727-0319, see the Skill Builder’s brochure or visit their website:
Some conditions that may result in the need for an evaluation are:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Driving Anxiety
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Visual Impairments (Vision Waiver assessments)
- Memory disorders which could be non-specified, dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, mild cognitive impairment
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Congenital disorders
- Developmental delay
- Age-related concerns
- Progressive disorders
- Other neurological events
- Medical Driver Licence Suspension
What does Skill Builders offer?
We offer a range of services including;
- Medical fitness to drive evaluations
- Driver training
- Vision waiver assessments
- Vehicle and adaptive equipment prescriptions
- Driver anxiety assessments/reintegration.
What to expect
The evaluations consist of three parts and will take approximately 2.5 – 3 hours.
- In-clinic assessment that includes a vision screening, a cognitive assessment and a physical assessment
- On-road assessment that is conducted in one of the Our Driving School education vehicles.
- Feedback session including the Occupational Therapist’s interpretation of the results.
What is included in a driving evaluation?
The purpose of the evaluation is to determine if the individual’s medical condition, medications, functional limitations and/ or anxiety affect his/ her ability to drive.
- Vision screening
- Cognitive testing
- Physical assessment
- On-road assessment
- Conclusion & recommendations
Call us for more info and rates